Men now worse than beasts (Special report on Sodomy)

Men now worse than beasts (Special report on Sodomy)

Editors choice
664 views
0
The rate at which cases of sodomy, incest and rape are rising is worrying. Issues of rape, defilement, sodomy among other ills used to be rare in learning institutions especially in primary and secondary schools.
Sadly, sodomy is now steadily taking root in Kenya if the Provisional Police Records for 2005-2010 by the Kenya National Bureau of Statistics is anything to go by.  Cases of priests sodomising young boys under their care, teachers engaging their students in the vice and students turning on fellow students and fathers against their sons after separating with their wives is not news anymore.
Last week, two Form Four students were suspended after being charged with defiling a Form Two student at Dagoretti High School. However, High Court ordered that they should proceed with learning. Justice Edward Muriithi ruled that the two 16-year-olds who were arraigned before the Kibera Law Courts over the said allegations should not be barred from attending classes since their right to education would be affected.
The students had been sent out of school forcing their parents to sue Dagoretti High School principal and its board of directors. The judge noted that giving orders to compel the students to resume class as well as sharing dormitories with other students and noting that Dagoretti High was a boarding institution with a population of more than 1,000 students, there was a likelihood of riots between Form Fours and Twos if they were allowed to access boarding facilities.
The judge, however, ordered the school administration that pending hearing and determination of their trial case, let the school allow the affected minors to access learning facility as well as classes as day scholars. At Onjiko High School in Kisumu county, two students were suspended for allegedly sodomising their Form One colleagues. One of the students was a prefect who was demoted after it emerged he wanted to disclose the offence. It is claimed that sodomy has been going on in the school.
Elsewhere, a 35-year-old man who was accused of sexually molesting minors aged between 10 and 13 has been remanded until August 5 2016, when a report from the Children’s Department will be presented in court.
In Nakuru county, Cyrus Orina, who appeared before Chief Magistrate Joel Ngeno, denied 10 counts of sexual abuse, four counts of sodomy, five counts of indecent act and one count of defilement, all allegedly committed in Kaptembwo estate within Nakuru town. Orina allegedly defiled a girl aged 10 on diverse dates between January and February this year.
He was also charged with sexually molesting four boys, with the latest incident being on July 6 2016. It is alleged that Orina, who lived alone, lured the minors to his house in the evenings, promising to help the children with their remedial studies in order to improve their grades. In another sodomy case, a senior police officer is under investigations after trying to sodomise his driver at Vigilance House in Nairobi. Reports say the officer of the rank of superintendent invited the driver to the office on the fifth floor and served him with a cup of tea.
The driver lost consciousness after drinking the tea. After recovering, the senior officer had removed his clothes. His efforts of rushing outside the office were fruitless. The senior man had locked the door and removed the key. However, the driver shouted for help attracting colleagues who forced the senior officer to open the door. In Nairobi, a man was charged with committing an unnatural act with a 15-year-old boy. Joseph Mulindi, 35, allegedly sodomised the boy at Mukuru kwa Reuben slum, Industrial Area. He allegedly committed the crime between January 8 and March 20 2016.
The prosecution said the boy went to live with Mulindi as he had no place to stay. Mulindi denied the charges before senior principal magistrate Victor Wakumile and was released on Sh100,000 bond.
In Kitui county, a nurse was arraigned in court for allegedly attempting to sodomise a Form Two student in his house at Mwingi town. The accused, Ezekiel Kimwangi Njagi, was busted by police in his house, before he could perform the heinous act. Police said that they found liquid chemicals and syringes in the man’s residence, which they believe were to be used to intoxicate the teenager. Njagi who works at Kanzui Dispensary in Mwingi, denied the charges filed against him and was released on a Sh200, 000 bond.
In Mombasa county, a man was slapped with a five-year jail term after being found guilty of sodomy. Ibrahim Ramadhan was accused of sexually assaulting a 29-year-old mentally unstable man, a charge he denied. Ramadhan allegedly pounced on his victim on October 30 2015 as he was strolling naked at Likoni’s Shelly Beach, and sodomised him. He was caught pants down by people who were familiar to the victim, and they called his mother. He was later charged in court with committing an indecent act with an adult contrary to section 11(A) of the sexual offences of 2007.
In Siaya, in 2013, a secondary school student who was sodomised by a teacher struggled to find another school after suffering acute stigma from fellow students and teachers in his former school. The 19-year-old boy was rejected by several schools in the county already, with most teachers claiming that he should pay fees for the whole year before being accepted. The teacher was interdicted and the boy consequently lost his slot in his school.